Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: Our District > breadcrumbs: Board of Education > breadcrumbs: Minutes >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Fremont-Mills March School Board Minutes

March 14,2018

The Board of Directors of the Fremont-Mills Community School met in a joint session with the Stanton Board of Directors on Wednesday, March 14, 2018 in the media center of the school building.  The meeting was called to order at 5:30PM by President Morgan. 

Roll Call:

Todd Morgan, President

Eli Forney

Trent Jones

Keith Barber

Shannon Smith

Christopher Herrick, Superintendent

Jeremy Christiansen, Secondary Principal

Allyson Forney, Elementary Principal

Kirsten Heard, Business Manager

Susan Shepherd, Board Secretary

Stanton Board Members: Directors Brian Bates, Travis Taylor, Amy Tibben, Paul Vanderholm, Tom Weis and  Board Secretary Tammy Boyer.

Visitors:  Wes Hill, David Owen, Samantha Wilson, DJ Erkenbrack, Sandy Parmenter, Chris Rush.  Dr. Christie and Dr. Plugge from Ray and Associates; Annette Zeplin and Merle Rambo from Facilities Cost Management Group.

Superintendent Search: Dr. Christie and Dr. Plugge presented results of the survey and the recommended qualities to be listed in the information to be released for the superintendent search.  The joint Stanton and Fremont-Mills Board members agreed on the top qualities and selected 11 items from the list to include in the brochure.   Interview groups to include 10/12 per group, students, staff, parents, board. At 6:00, the  Stanton Board retired, and the regular meeting of the FM Board continued with agenda.

Agenda: On motion by Jones, seconded by Barber to approve. Carried by all.

Minutes: Minutes of Feb 14, 2018, on motion by Forney, seconded by Smith to approve. Carried by all.

Reports:

Transportation:  On motion by Smith, seconded by Barber to approve Transportation report.  Carried by all.  Discuss replacement of school bus on motion by Jones, seconded by Barber to approve asking for bids on new bus, both gas and diesel options.  Carried by all.  

Nutrition: On motion by Barber, seconded by Smith. Carried by all.

Activity: On motion by Forney, seconded by Barber. Carried by all.

Finance: On motion by , seconded by .  Carried by all.

Medicaid: Contract with third party vendor to file paperwork for reimbursement on services to some eligible students. On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to end contract with Claim Aid and move to Timberline.  Carried by all.

AEA Purchasing Agreement for 2018-19: On motion by Forney, seconded by Smith to approve.  Carried by all.

Fiscal Year 2019 Budget Hearing:  Aid & Levy: Discussion on the aid & levy worksheet and the amounts to publish. On motion by Jones, seconded by Forney to set the budget hearing for April 11.  Carried by all.

Amendment of Fiscal Year 2018 Budget: On motion by Smith, seconded by Barber to set the hearing for April 11.  Carried by all.

Bills:  On motion by Barber, seconded by Smith to approve payment of the bills in the amount of $500,812.41.  Carried by all.

Facilities:  Merle Rambo and Annette Zeplin from Facilities Cost Management Group were present to discuss facilities construction progress, revised schedule of construction, and change orders, as follows:  Camblin Mechanical $838 and $2,950; Drees Electrical $5051.  On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to approve all three change orders in amounts not to exceed those presented.  Carried by all.  Discussion of change orders as required by the State Fire Marshall, part of the increased cost to be assumed by the architect/engineers. On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to approve $21,000 in change orders.  Carried by all.

Secure Door Access: On motion by Jones, seconded by Smith to approve the specs as presented.  Carried by all.

Stage Curtains: On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to accept bid on stage curtains from TMSm Inc for Bid Option 2 for  $41,074.05.  Carried by all.

BB/SB Field:  On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to approve bid for infield work from B&D Co from Plattsmouth in the amount of $24,666.  Carried by all.

Auditorium Projector: On motion by Forney, seconded by Barber, pending approval of the model from the engineer, to accept a bid from SHI in the amount of $5835.00 for an Epson 7,000 lumens projector.  Carried by all.

School Calendar:  On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to approve the 2018-19 School Calendar as presented with the start date of August 23.  Carried by all.

PTO and Booster updates: Briefly discussed fund raisers.

Good News:

Mr. Erkenbrack - HS Speech: FM has two students that were selected as all-state performers at the state contest! This is the highest honor an Iowa student can attain in speech competition. senior Clara Schaaf was selected in musical theater, and sophomore Alex Perrin was selected in interpretive prose. FM had 13 performances in all that were given 1 ratings at the state contest, with 4 of those performances given straight Division I Ratings, and 10 performances given 2 ratings. Full results below. Receiving Straight Division I Ratings: Clara Schaaf - Solo Musical Theater; Kelly Kesterson - Solo Musical Theater’ Alex Perrin - Prose; Kourtney Fichter - Literary Program.  Receiving Mixed Division I Ratings: Drayden Melgoza - Solo Musical Theater; Athena Wendland - Poetry; Alex Perrin - Solo Musical Theater; Clara Schaaf - Acting; Nicolas Miramontes - Storytelling; Kelly Kesterson - Storytelling; Vanessa Belt - Prose; Lydia Alley - Original Oratory; Anna Lemonds - Acting.  Receiving Mixed Division II Ratings: Nicolas Miramontes - Improvisation; Ellie Crom - Acting; Sierra Schebaum - Poetry; Lillian Mahaney - After Dinner Speaking. Receiving Straight Division II Ratings: Karigan Pries - Acting; Karigan Pries - Prose; Anna Lemonds - Radio News; Kaylee Wright - Poetry; Sierra Schebaum - Literary Program; Lillian Mahaney - Improvisation

Mrs. Christiansen, Guidance Counselor: Clara Schaaf scholarship essay written for the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) chapter in southwest Iowa won the regional award!  She will, now, travel to Ames for the State banquet, and, be entered into the competition for the chance to compete against others from across the state to win the State scholarship.  Should she be a finalist for this, she will compete at the National level for a chance to go to Washington DC.

Mrs. Shepherd - Trees Forever Grant: 13 White Pine and 13 Black Hills Spruce to be planted along the north edge of the new parking area. Our project is one of two selected from the current grant round that Trees Forever and Black Hills Energy would like to celebrate with special attention on the day of the planting this spring. They will invite Black Hill Energy and Trees Forever executive staff and board members to attend the event so they can be a part of a planting that exemplifies the program's goals.  They will work with us on media releases and other strategies to bring special media attention to this project. Total project cost:$7,298.00

Trees Forever Grant: $4,000.  Projected planting date April 23-27.

Mr. Wood - Math:  Congratulations to Olivia Smith for excellent hard work in Algebra 1.

Vocal Trip to Branson:  Mr. Erkenbrack will be taking 36 students to participate in a workshop and for 3 performances at King’s Castle Theatre in Branson.

Early Childhood Center Programming:   Mrs. Allyson Forney reported on the results of the parent survey: All day daycare 65% yes; year round except holidays. Pricing and hours for preschool briefly discussed.  Mrs. Forney to draw up a proposal.

School Improvement Workshop: Discussed scheduling workshop for the board.

Personnel:  On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to approve a resignation, including a contract amendment, for Alyssa Moreland.  Carried by all.

Negotiations update:  Meeting Monday March 19.

Emergency Services Training: Scheduled for Monday March 19. Briefly discussed.

Water Pit Replacement:  Wes Hill discussed with the board the need to replace the water pit at the crow’s nest at an approximate $2000 cost.  On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to approve.  Carried by all.

Safe Route to School:  Request re-bids on placement of an 8’ wide sidewalk to the north edge of the school property.  Funds from grants to be used.

School Resource Officer:  On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to approve sharing with Sidney a School Resource Officer based at the Fremont County Sheriff’s office.  Carried by all.

Open Enrollment Requests for 2018-19:

Danica Laumann IN (Shen) On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to approve. Carried by all.

Makenna Laumann IN (Shen) On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to approve. Carried by all.

Kendra Laumann IN (Shen) On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to approve. Carried by all.

Jaelyn Bland OUT to Iowa Virtual Academy (CAM). On motion by Barber, seconded by Forney to approve. Carried by all. 

Dalton Erickson OUT to Glenwood. On motion by Forney, seconded by Barber to approve. Carried by all. Ava Billings IN from East Mills.  On motion by Forney, seconded by Jones to approve. Carried by all.

Kylee Gonzalez IN from Council Bluffs. On motion by Forney, seconded by Barber to approve. Carried by all.

Marissa Gonzalez IN from Council Bluffs. On motion by Forney, seconded by Barber to approve. Carried by all.

Scarlet Roush IN from Council Bluffs. On motion by Barber, seconded by Jones to approve. Carried by all.

Airyanna Roush IN from Council Bluffs. On motion by Forney, seconded by Smith to approve. Carried by all.

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM

• RSS Icon

Fremont Mills Community School District 1114 US Highway 275
PO Box 310 Tabor, IA  51653

Phone:712-629-2325 - Fax:712-629-5155

Back To Top